One sale listing of one Campine described the GB process as “laughably long”. I cannot disagree. It was fraught with issues from beginning to end. One of the most annoying details I contended with was the finish on the aluminum frames. You'll remember, the first ones were absolutely atrocious. Inconsistent, poorly qc’ed and actually chipped in the exact same spot. Then I had them refinish the parts, but the interior of 60% of the frames showed machining marks, which weren’t noticed until the partial order was done being powdercoated. This meant that a second (or third, depending on whether you believe the machinist) refinishing process was needed, after doing some serious hand-filing on each piece as they were processed, after being media blasted.
No excuses, just reasons here. I’m pretty upset about how long this GB took, and trying to deliver a “low-cost” custom 60% case/kit meant trying to squeeze as much value from more simple production processes (like finishing, blasting, powdercoating) as humanly possible. Fate conspired to throw wrenches into every single part of the GB process, and for that, I apologize. Very little went my way on this GB including the chicanery at the end, so in lieu of a post-mortem, I’ll most likely be detailing the misses on a timeline below.
I’ve been getting pics of the boards and it seems people are enjoying them, when they get to their owners. If you’re reading this and are not happy or have a question, please let me know and I’ll do my best to rectify the situation.
I’m working on finalizing manufacturers for the angled bottom. I’ve narrowed it down to two vendors and posting a new IC shortly. I realized that emailing the original Campine order list is mostly a bad idea, since a fair portion of the original purchasers don’t have their boards any longer.
As an interesting post-script to this process, I posted the exact same info above to the Geekhack forum thread for the GB. I had a few people come out and say that they had some issues with the overall delivery/communication from a kit-standpoint, as I didn't explain the screws and what went where, properly enough. I apologized for that, and I'm in the process of re-making the cases for the users who were displeased.
This is the crazy part though: one user had such an issue, that he said he threw the entire kit away! I was pretty flabbergasted by that. Of course, people are free to do what they want with their kits, and it's their choice whether they keep it, sell it, burn it or trash it, but I would have welcomed the opportunity to make the case into something that the person would have at least been able to sell to someone who would enjoy it.
Either way, I'm willing to consider the GB a moderate success, as everyone got their kits, none were lost in the mail, and I've heard from some folks who have received them, that they are very happy with their builds, and I don't think they were just being nice to me. Extras are up the store, ready to be customized with the color of your choice.
Here are some stats, in case anyone cares about that kind of thing.
Direct email updates sent: 24
Apologies offered: 12
Times new shipping date was offered: 8
Trips to manu brick-and-mortar location: 6
Colors offered: 9
Colors added since GB conclusion: 3
Packages shipped: 66
Secondary packages shipped because I forgot parts in the original package: 6